Happy Monday!! I hope you had a great weekend!
We had a fun BBQ over at a friend’s house Friday night. Saturday, we took the pups to get groomed, and then we had a wedding to attend that evening. Thank goodness it wasn’t an outdoor wedding because it was in the triple digits here. Sunday was full of cleaning and painting.
I was feeling a little blue on Sunday as it was the one year anniversary of the wreck that lead to my aunt’s death. There have been so many times over this last year where I almost picked up the phone to call her. She was a big supporter of my website and furniture business, and everytime I hit a new milestone or have a great opportunity offered to me, I wish I could let her know. Losing a loved one truly makes you appreciate every moment you left have with family and friends.
This Thursday, I am part of a furniture tour … and do you know what? I haven’t even started my project.
The dresser I’m showing you today was basically from hell.
My client wanted the drawers stained and the shell very chippy. I sanded down the drawers and stained them with Minwax stain in Dark Walnut and loved the results.
The shell was another story.
Here is the before:
Since she wanted it chippy, I stepped out of my box and used milkpaint. Milkpaint makes me nervous.
With milkpaint, you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes, it gives you that perfect vintage chippy look, other times it doesn’t chip at all, and sometimes it chips way too much … which is what I got.
After I applied my two layers of milkpaint it looked fine. I could see a bit of chippy goodness starting, so I shut the door and waited for it to dry.
Two hours later I came in and 75% of the paint was either bubbled up or laying on the floor.
That was a problem since: A.) I was out of paint, and the only place that sells it here in town was closed; and B.) I was already way past my deadline for the client.
So on to Plan B.
Well, actually I didn’t really have a Plan B, so I decided to paint over the milkpaint with my Plaster Paint in Sweet Cream.
After a coat of the plaster paint, you could see pink (from the original stain I suppose) bleeding through the paint. What the heck!?!?
So I ran down to Lowes and got some shellac. That’s what I always use on pieces that bleed through. I used a coat of that and let it dry, then painted on another coat.
The Shellac helped, but not enough, so on to coat three of the shellac. All in all, I ended-up with four coats of the shellac. I have never had a piece require that much.
Then after I paint on the last coat of Plaster Paint, the milkpaint was still chipping off in places which gave it that perfect look I was wanting in the first place.
I then distressed the shell and knobs and coated it in clear wax. I actually love the way it turned out.
It may not have gone smoothly or the route I had planned but as long as the end result was good I am a happy girl. Hopefully my client likes it just as much as I do!