I hope you all had a good weekend! I spent the majority of mine painting … surprise, surprise.
Two of the pieces I have been working on have required eight million coats of paint for some reason, but they are both almost finished thank goodness! I also did some major cleaning around the house.
The thing about having people pick up furniture pieces at your home, is that is forces you to keep a tidy house. Or at least clean the rooms the person can see from the front door.
That was the case last week, a super sweet lady was picking up her piece, and her adorable toddler made his way into our kitchen. Nooooooo! Nooootttt the kiiiitttchen!!! I almost stroked out. There was last night’s dishes in the sink, paint cans and supplies all over the counter, and crafting crap everywhere.
I about died.
She must have thought we were total pigs, and that day … she would have been right.
So much for taking the easy way out.
Speaking of easy, this project wasn’t. Remember the lot o’ mirrors I got last week? This is the one I used for today’s project.
I removed the mirror, gasp! I know, I know, it was fine the way it was, but I needed a frame and they cost a fortune to buy new.
I left the frame the way it was since it was in good shape. I got a large piece of sheet metal at Lowes which Topher cut down while managing to keep his digits intact, and then we spray painted it black.
I wasn’t sure what to seal it with since all I had was a high gloss poly, and I didn’t want a sheen to it.
Topher sprayed it with Mod Podge Sealer (this is where Shanna had a meltdown) and the paint all started to bubble up — great product … not for this application.
So at 10 o’clock at night, in the freezing garage, I was stripping this piece of metal down. I do believe the stripper / no ventilation combo is why I actually slept more than 4 hours that night — but those crazy dreams…
Once it was all refinished with coat of newly-purchased satin poly, I then attached the metal to the frame and (when I say “I”, I mean Topher) and hung that baby up in the unnamed child’s bathroom.
If you recall the child seems to have a cleanliness disorder, and this project was to help her with the 52 pounds of makeup she has strewn across her vanity at any given time.
Now that I have this nicely painted and sealed piece of sheet metal in my lovely frame, I took a roll of magnetic tape (I purchased at Lowes), cut strips to size, and attached them to the back of her makeup.
This should solve the problem!
If not, I have threatened to donate all of her makeup to needy children in North Korea.