This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NaturalGoodness #CollectiveBias
How do you feel about exposing your family to chemicals? It feels like every time you turn on the television there is a new story about how there are toxins in our water, our food, cosmetics, etc.
Every year there are also increases in diseases like autism, cancers, and autoimmune diseases. It makes you wonder if there is a connection? I’m no expert in chemical compounding and understanding how it relates to my mascara, but I have really been trying to cut back on any chemicals that come into our home. And when you consider how much of what we touch was created in a lab with man-made materials rather than something grown in a forest, it’s not too difficult to start connecting dots.
My side of the family struggles with a variety of auto-immune disorders, so I am trying to do anything I can to help keep myself and my family safe and healthy.
I have been trying to be more conscientious about what comes on or into our bodies. One of the things that you use daily is toothpaste. If you pick up your normal tube of toothpaste, I think you would be shocked at the amount of unpronounceable ingredients. What are these things? Are they healthy for you? Well I looked up what some of these ingredients actually are and the answer is no.
So the last time I was at Wal-Mart, I decided to look for an alternative. Tom’s of Maine has a large line of toothpastes and oral care that never use artificial colors, flavors, fragrances, preservatives or animal testing. My hubby’s favorite toothpaste is the Anti-Plaque & Whitening Peppermint Fluoride Free Toothpaste. My daughter’s is the Whole Care® Peppermint and Spearmint Fluoride Toothpaste.
I will let you in on a little secret, I hate mint: mint candy, mint gum and mint toothpaste. So the Tom’s toothpaste that I use is the Silly Strawberry. I know this sounds weird that an adult uses strawberry toothpaste, but this doesn’t have artificial sparkles or anything, and it does make my breath feel fresh!
Another item of Tom’s that my daughter and I love is the Unisex Long Lasting Apricot Deodorant. It has no artificial fragrance or preservatives and no animal ingredients or testing, and is long lasting and aluminum-free.
I love a company that has the same values as I do. Tom’s also gives 10 percent of their profits back to causes across the country.
To get your $1.00 off any Tom’s of Maine product purchased at Walmart click here
With April being Earth Month, here are 10 of the ways I have been trying to make my home healthier.
- Eating organic and homegrown foods. We have planted a little garden in our backyard, so that we know how our food is being grown and not covered in pesticides. Plus, it is fun to go out there everyday and see the progress of our new strawberries, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Use “green” cleaners. Avoid purchasing toxic cleaners and laundry products. If your clothes are on your body all day, it only makes sense that the chemicals in the detergents would make its way through your skin. Anytime you spray wood and glass cleaners, it enters into your lungs and during the winter your windows are shut, keeping these fumes contained. Make sure your cleaners are green.
- Use purified or filtered drinking water. This will remove many of the potential chemical contaminants that might impact you or your child’s health. And change the filter regularly…
- Reduce the use of plastics in your home. Plaster wrap, plastic food containers, and water bottles contain chemicals known as carcinogens.
- Be careful of plastic toys. Toys made from wood, cloth, and natural fibers are better choices.
- Keep your cooking clean and green. Avoid grilling foods with charcoal products. Use gas or electric instead.
- Check your cookware. Some cookware products such as Teflon is unhealthy when heated. Stainless steel, cast iron and ceramic-coated steel are better choices.
- Don’t expose your family to secondhand smoke.
- Keep medications to a minimum.
- Ensure your house is free of allergens and toxins. Prefer linoleum, natural carpets, bamboo flooring etc. Paints should also be chosen carefully as their contents can outgas harmful chemicals; select eco-friendly and natural paint options.
Does your family use organic or chemically free products? Do you do anything special for Earth Day?
Krista @ While He Was Napping says
I like the anti-plaque toothpaste the best. I haven’t tried the deodorant yet, but I like the way it smells in the container… =) BTW, LOVE those gold mason jar toothbrush holders, super cute!
I learned about Tom’s products years ago from my college roommate. I’ll be looking for the anti-plaque toothpaste.
I just noticed the deodorant the other day when I was picking some up for my husband. He’s fiercely loyal to his “brand” but I’d like to try it out just to test it!